Saturday, November 5, 2016

Who says grass fed beef is bad?!

I was now at my parents' house, so I had to improvise a little for breakfast. This seems about right, right?


I also got a handful of those weaved cracker thingies.


For dinner, my parents and I decided that we wanted burgers. We contemplated going to LC's, Town Topic, Hayes...you know, the usuals. But I did a quick search and found a very highly rated burger place in Northtown that we had never tried. So we tried it.


The place is Tay's Burger Shack. Upon learning that the burgers here were made from grass fed beef, I became a little skeptical. A lot of people claim that grass fed beef doesn't taste as good as grain fed beef. But then I remembered that this place was very highly rated, and I figured that that many people couldn't be that misinformed. Surely these burgers must be good for that many people to like them.

We took a quick look at the very simple menu...


...and I knew exactly what I was going to order. Of course I ordered the Homerun Burger, which is a burger with four 3 ounce patties. I got the burger with extra cheese, carmelized onions, and bacon (obviously). I got the combo because fries.

On the tables, they had a couple of unique condiments. I approve.


They also have a decent collection of interesting decorations, my favorite being this one:


But now for the food. Oh yes, the food. Take a good look at this food.


The fries look good, don't they? Well, that's because they were! They were seasoned with some salty and wonderful seasoning, and they were just wonderful. But what about the burger?


Oh, yeah, the burger. Is this just a big pile of grass fed blandness?


Oh no, far from it my friends. Being a self-proclaimed burger connoisseur, I know what a good burger is. Was this a good burger? Let's see.

A good burger:

  • is cooked on a griddle. Check.
  • has plenty of American cheese. Check.
  • is juicy and greasy. Check.
  • is crispy around the edges. Check.
  • is served on a toasted bun. Check.
This next picture really illustrates how this burger shines. You can see the ample amounts of cheese. You can see the crispy crust around the edges of the patties. You can see the glimmer of the juiciness. You can see the toastedness of the buns.
 


What I mean to say is that this was one of the best burgers I've ever had, grass fed beef and all. We may very well have just discovered a new go-to burger place. What I'll also say, though, is this. While this burger easily rivaled that of LC's, I am in no way, shape, or form ready to completely write off LC's. LC's burgers are not less tasty than these. LC's is closer. And LC's is cheaper. Sure, you don't get sriracha mayo at LC's, but is that really what matters at a burger place? No. Will I come back to Tay's? Absolutely. Will I continue to eat at LC's. Of course. It's just nice, too, to have yet another option for a good burger.

Finally, to finish off this new discovery, we ordered some sundaes.



A great discovery, for sure.

When we got back to my parents' house, I took the opportunity to marvel at my dad's whimsical pumpkin carving creation.


I don't know how he comes up with these designs, and I'm not sure he does either, but this isn't the first time he's come up with an abstract jack-o-lantern design that somehow looks good.

I finished off the day with a couple trick-or-treat leftovers.


No comments:

Post a Comment