Monday, September 5, 2016

The Apocalyptic Storm

This morning was a little torturous. I came downstairs to find more cinnamon rolls, only to be denied yet again. I ate my brotein bar in tears. 


It was ok, though, because I found a doughnut!


I also found some prunes, which I actually like.


The real news for the day came when I looked outside at our once peaceful pasture. This is what it looked like:


This is what it used to look like:


Do you notice any differences??? Apparently, people really like sunflowers and baked goods. Who knew? The shear amount of people was absolutely insane. And this wasn't the worst of it. Not by a long shot. The actual sunflower field was a million times worse. Sidney's dad cleared 15 acres for parking, and that didn't even begin cover it. It got so bad that at times traffic was backed up on I-70 from the Tonganoxie exit all the way back west to Lawrence. That's at least 13 miles of interstate. That is sheer madness. It was taking people an hour to drive the half mile from Sunflower General to the sunflower field. The infrastructure of the area simply cannot accommodate that many people. Nor can common sense. Even with sheriffs and others out directing traffic, there were several traffic accidents, and it got so bad that the roads were temporarily shut down and no one else was permitted to enter. This lasted for a couple hours, during which a large amount of people had left, but it was still very busy. It's just amazing to me to see a part of the country that for 50 weeks out of the year is quiet and peaceful turn into the center of attention for so many people. People literally come from all over the world to see this.

Eventually, I went back inside to find this:


Apparently, it was "over cooked." I couldn't tell, but I wasn't about to argue, because in the world of bakeries, "over cooked" means "we can't sell this so I don't care if you eat it." Well, you don't have to tell me twice!


I tried what was considered the "most burnt" part of this peach cobbler, and it definitely tasted horrible. In fact, it was so bad that I felt the need to punish myself by eating another piece!


Yep, just as horrible! Of course I'm only kidding, as this was an extremely tasty peach cobbler. I am not kidding, however, when I say that I could've eaten the whole thing.

I then ventured out into the sunflowers to collect some data for my Biostats class. While doing so, I happened across this beautiful monarch.


What a picturesque little guy, and what a picturesque setting.

The data I was collecting relates the heights of sunflowers that end up facing east compared to those that do not. I could get into the mechanics of heliotropism and how sunflowers fit in there somewhere, but I'll spare you of that. To illustrate my point, I wanted to see how flowers that faced different directions than the majority differed from the majority, like this:


My parents then came out to the field and we took our now traditional family sunflower portrait. Afterward, we went to Johnny's. I got what I always get, which is the chicken strip platter Buffalo style with a lot of ranch.


It's just so good.


My parents got one of the pizzas.


Sidney got the tenderloin, and I "helped" her with some of her fries!


I also "helped" my parents with some of their pizza!


It was really good with ranch.

No comments:

Post a Comment