Sunday, August 7, 2016

Antiquing Like a Boss!

Today would be a day lived mostly in the past. But this was by design, so it was alright. More on this later.

For breakfast, my mom offered to get some doughnuts. One simply does not decline doughnuts. I got a Bavarian Cream one.


Look at that wonderfulness.


A little later, I had a quartet of dark chocolate-covered pecans.


We then left and headed to the West Bottoms in Kansas City, where it was still First Fridays weekend. What this essentially means is that every First Friday of the month (and the subsequent Saturday and Sunday), a whole bunch of antique flea market-esque shops open up in old warehouses in the West Bottoms, displaying a whole bunch of antique and retro knick knacks, furniture items, electronics, and more. Here are some highlights from the day.

A cool lamp idea:


Now that looks like a secure fridge:


That floor lamp though...


Back when televisions were furniture pieces.


This was a nice old Philco radio/turntable.


Somebody found a dress!


This was a pretty cool old Sunbeam.


An adding machine?


Some more electronics:


A lamp made with a real violin (the same make and model of my own):


A Peerless organ:


We also stumbled upon a cafe/diner on the 4th floor of one of the old warehouses. I ordered the highly acclaimed Chicken Panini. It had grilled chicken, garlic aioli, avocado, spinach, and provolone.


It came with some really good potato salad, but the sandwich really lived up to its billing.


After finishing up our antiquing, we stopped by an old favorite for some shakes/malts.


I got a chocolate shake.


When we got back to my parents' house, Sidney and I finished off the peach rings.


I had maybe 6 or so, maybe a little more.

I discovered today that antiquing can be extremely dangerous. There were just so many things that I wanted to buy. Faced with constant temptation for hours, I couldn't not get anything. Behold, my haul:


I got a sports cars book from 1973, an Iron Butterfly album from 1969, and a Christmas album from 1968. But how am I to play such antiquated forms of music media? Behold!


But how am I to play vinyl records with a suitcase??? Behold!!


A turntable in a suitcase, for the traveling antique musical media connoisseur!

Sidney and I also got a cool little punch bowl and I got a stick of old-style Double Bubble bubble gum (with original 1928 flavor!!!).

No comments:

Post a Comment