Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Fried Chicken at a Bakery?!

For breakfast, and since I knew we wouldn't have a use for leftovers the next couple nights, I had pizza.


For the same reason, I had pizza for lunch as well.


Sidney and I then headed in to Lawrence for WheatFields's special Wednesday Fried Chicken dinner. I've been waiting a while to try this, and today was finally the day.


It came with some coarsely-mashed potatoes with cheesy and creamy gravy.


It also came with some cole slaw.


Both the potatoes and the cole slaw were really good, but the cole slaw in particular really surprised me. Of the three things on this plate, one may expect a bakery to not possess expertise in cole slaw production. But WheatFields has just that. This cole slaw was probably the best cole slaw I've ever had. I like it even more than the really good cole slaw I had a little over a week ago. It was really that good.

But the main focus of my attention, the fried chicken, was my favorite part of this dinner. I had hyped it up so much, and it wasn't disappointing. The breading was super light but still satisfyingly crunchy. It was seasoned really well and cooked to perfection. I would definitely come back for this dinner. WheatFields is often overlooked as a dinner spot due to its overwhelming popularity as a bakery and breakfast spot, as evidenced by the emptiness of the place tonight. No wait times and good food are good in my book!

I also enjoyed sharing this dinner with someone very special.


Sidney seems really excited about her Greek Steak Salad. She didn't like it quite as much as the chicken (especially the mashed potatoes), but it came with bread and butter, so she was happy.

We skipped dessert at a place with numerous dessert options because we had this waiting at home.


Sidney got this fudge on her most recent trip to Cabela's. There was milk chocolate,


Dark chocolate,


Peanut butter,


and cookie dough (of which Sidney had already sampled).


She gifted me the remaining cookie dough, and we split the remaining three varieties. I had some milk with it.


My favorite of these varieties, shocking to me, was peanut butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment