Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Gray hairs? Roger That!

I headed in a little early to the gym this morning, so I grabbed a brotein bar and was out the door.


But it's not what you think. I didn't go to the gym at 0700 to get an early morning pump or to do some early morning cycling. No, I had much more important business to attend to. Roger Federer was playing in the Quarterfinals of Wimbledon this morning against Marin Cilic, and it was set to be a very interesting match.


Luckily, the Rec has a TV in their little waiting area that is tuned in to ESPN. So, for the next three hours, here I sat. Fed lost the first two sets, and things weren't looking good. He won the third set, but the fourth set was a little dicey. Cilic had a match point on Fed's serve, which he coolly saved. But then there was a second. Again, saved. I could feel my hair turning the lightest of grays. Eventually, the set went to a tiebreak, and again Fed faced a match point on his serve. And one more time, with the calmness of a 17-time champion, he saved it. He went on to win the tiebreaker to force a fifth and deciding set. Unfortunately, at this time it was 0955, and I had only 5 minutes to get to class. It was one of the hardest things I've ever done getting up and walking away from this match. Here was my favorite player, the greatest player who's ever played the game, in the midst of an incredibly unlikely comeback at the most prestigious tournament in the world. And I had to miss the end. I spent the next hour in a restless fit of nervous energy. All I could think about was the match. How was it going? After about 45 or so minutes, about the time it takes to play a set, I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket. I could only assume that it was my mother texting me to inform me of the results. But I was still in class. I couldn't look. Soon enough, though, class was over. I still couldn't look. I had left the match with a good feeling, positive that Roger had the momentum after saving three match points against him to take the fourth set. But I couldn't be sure. It's never sure in a tennis match as close as this one where one mistake could decide the match. I made it all the way down the stairs before I could bring myself to look. I closed my eyes as I unlocked my phone so that my mother's text wouldn't give it away. I wanted to see for myself. I opened the browser, navigated to the official Wimbledon website, clicked on scores, and waited for the page to load. At this point my heart was beating out of my chest. I couldn't bare to look, but I couldn't bare not to. At this point, I was pretty sure the match was over, but I couldn't be sure. 5th sets at Wimbledon don't end in tiebreakers, so they could theoretically be played for days (a la Isner v. Mahut 2010). When the page finally loaded, my eyes were glued to the screen. For a split second, Federer v. Cilic popped up with a little check mark next to Federer, but then it vanished. Beginning to get overwhelmed with joy, I checked my text messages. I had 2 unread messages from my mom. I opened them up, and I saw it. "He did it!!!" my mom had said. Roger had done it. He had come back from 2 sets to love and advanced to the semifinals in what was one of the most tense and stressful matches of all time, especially that 4th set tiebreaker. But it was over. He won. I couldn't stop smiling and laughing aloud, all of that built-up tension finally finding its release. I didn't even care about going to the gym. I didn't really care about much of anything else at this point. I was just so happy that he managed to keep his Wimbledon run alive. Go Roger!

I did, however, head back to the Rec to weigh myself after learning this great news. The results of this weigh-in actually kind of shocked me.


Apparently, I released so much nervous energy that my weight plummeted to the lowest its been since my freshman year of college 4 years ago. I'm also not sure if all my muscle is gone or not, but I know a lot of my fat is gone. I should do an update on that soon...

In the meantime, though, I had to take anti-muscle atrophy measures.


I then went to Sprouts and picked up some more chicken. This time I got over 8 pounds of chicken for $8.00. It's always amazing when they have chicken on sale for $0.99/lb. Nothing can beat that. So I got a couple packages of thighs and a package of bone-in breasts with the skin still on. I also picked up some more sausages, the pork ones this time.

When I got home, I found some vegetable stir fry, and it smelled too good not to sample. It's vegetables, so it's calorie free, right?


I then proceeded to grill up my sausages. These were the 4 varieties:


Starting with top left and going clockwise, there was German bratwurst, Andouille, hot Italian, and sweet Italian. The same holds true for the picture below:


Pretty soon they were all grilled up, ready to be eaten. And eaten they were. I ate them all.


There was about 23 ounces of meat total, and about 23 pounds of sodium. I enjoyed them all, but the best ones were the Andouille and the German brat.

A little later, we had a delivery to attend to. Any guesses as to what's in this box?


How about now? Still no?


Surely you can guess it now. Really? No?


Fine, here it is. BOOM!


That's right. A Queen-size mattress was delivered in a box. This was actually the only way we could get a queen mattress upstairs in one piece. Old houses have very narrow stairs and very short doorways apparently.

Next, I did something I've been meaning to do for a long time. I reinstalled a classic air freshener in my car. This is the same one I used throughout high school.


After my sausage lunch had finally settled, I had a dinner consisting of a handful of nuts. They were good, and a nice departure from the spicy and salty meat I had had earlier.


And for dessert, the cherry on top was, well, simply a cherry.


Good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment