Sunday, July 10, 2016

A Good Day (Donut Pancake Waffle Thingies)

Today was a good day. Today is the day that two weeks ago Sunday should have been. But it wasn't. That's okay, though, because today was. Knowing I was already gone before I ever started eating, I had a chunk of Devil's Chocolate cookie for breakfast. 


Then I saw these things:


They looked really good, but Sidney's dad said that they weren't all that impressive. The part of me that knows that he is not a picky eater really made me think about not even trying one of these, but the part of me that knows his ornery nature made me think that he could just be saying that to prevent me from eating any, thus more for him. Well, I would have none of that! Of course, I tried one.


Turns out he wasn't kidding. These things were actually pretty tasteless, especially compared to the Devil's Chocolate cookie I had just eaten. What's amazing is that these things have 100 calories a piece, and they aren't even that big! Not that I cared today, but geez! Upon tasting one, I thought that they could use more sugar, but then they be even higher in calories. Definitely not worth it.

But now. Now was the moment I had been waiting for for over a year. I thought this moment was going to occur two weeks ago, and when it didn't, I was heartbroken. You remember. My parents, Sidney, and I entered WheatFields with grand expectations only to be crushed. We made a resolution to arrive earlier this morning in hopes of getting there before the biscuits and gravy ran out. Well, I think we may have made it...


Oh yes, we made it! We really made it! It was better than I remembered. The biscuit in the above picture is a whole lot bigger than what it looks like, too. The entire bottom half, covered by gravy, was shifted to the right, effectively filling up the entire bowl. Here is a picture of my dad's biscuit sans most of his gravy.

If you look closely, between the big sulcus about halfway down the biscuit is a whole bunch of gravy. They really know how to do biscuits and gravy at WheatFields, I'll tell you what. Not only are the biscuits huge and cooked to perfection, they taste incredibly buttery and delicious. And the gravy. Oh yes, the gravy. The gravy is incredibly meaty with plenty of sausage, and it's spiced to perfection. It's listed on the menu as "spicy" but it's not hot. Not by a long shot. Let me put this in perspective for you. Sidney, who doesn't really like gravy, has never really liked gravy, agreed to take a small taste of this gravy at my behest. Not only did she not hate it, she said that she actually sort of liked it, and the proof of this is in the fact that, without my prodding, she kept coming back for more tastes. That says it all right there. She may not prefer gravy over butter and jam, but she liked this gravy enough to take multiple bites. So, if someone who doesn't really like gravy likes this gravy, imagine how good it must be to someone who actually really likes gravy. Yeah, it really is as good as you're imagining.

For dessert (breakfast dessert?), you can't leave WheatFields and not get one of their cinnamon rolls.


They are huge and, again, cooked to perfection. The icing is delicious and the rolls err on the side of slightly undercooked, leaving them oh so soft and slightly chewy. All of this is accomplished without it tasting the least bit doughy. And they're cooked uniformly throughout, too. The outsides and insides are all perfectly baked and delicious.

Sidney ordered a lemon poppyseed muffin. Any guesses on how good it was?


Yep, amazing. Seriously, anything dough related you can pretty much bet that WheatFields makes it the best.

My parents then accompanied Sidney and I to our house to help us move some more of our stuff in. This took all of about 4 hours, which was perfect timing for the next reason that today was so good.


Yes, that's right! We're back at Aladdin Cafe, this time for the buffet! I started off with some lentil soup, some falafel, some sweet meatballs, some chicken curry, some baked tilapia, some hummus, some pita, and some more pita:


I was keeping an eye on the buffet, and when they brought out fresh gyro meat, I pounced.


The gyro meat, the hummus, and the pita are my favorite things here, so when I got the opportunity...


...I loaded up on just those three things!!! I was in absolute heaven with this plate. This is one of those dream plates. This is one of those plates that transcends almost all other plates. This is one of those plates that would be vying for a spot at the top of my Best Plates list. If People Magazine had a World's Sexiest Plate list, this plate would surely make the top 5, if not higher.

One of the best ways to enjoy all three of these foods at once is to place a slice of gyro meat on a piece of pita and then slather it with some hummus.


It's just so good! I have no other words. It's just so good.

For dessert, I had thoughts of recreating the rose water rice pudding drinking competition held between Quinn, Andrew, and myself a couple months ago. My parents already had gotten a bowl of it, so I decided that I would finish it off first. I'm glad I did.


This go around, the rose water flavor was much more prominent. It was so strong that if I had gotten a full bowl (or glass) I would likely not have been able to finish it. It was still good, but it was just so strong.

But otherwise, it was a fantastic buffet. It was everything I remembered and more.

After leaving Aladdin Cafe, we headed down the street to a bubble tea place. I had only been here once before, and back then I ordered the chocolate flavor. I wasn't too impressed, but then again I don't really like tea. But today was different. I now knew how to order something better. I ordered a fruit flavor in slushy form. I got mango.


I think my favorite part, though, is still all the boba in the bottom of the cup.


Who knew that little tapioca pearls could be so interestingly addicting??

With so much goodness having already occurred today, was there any way I could make it any gooder? Oh yes, of course! For a long time now, after seeing a post on Facebook, I have been dreaming about making glazed donut pancake waffle thingies. Confused? Just follow along on my journey.

First, we went to Target. Here, they have glazed donuts made without any hyrdogenated oils. Also, they're a little bit smaller than average, and only have 170 calories a piece. But that's not the point. Here they are in their natural environment:


I was carefully able to get up close for a good shot:


Using my stealthy donut-catching skills, I caught a box and placed it in the cart.


Pretty soon, it was on the belt to officially become mine.


We took a little detour back to Sidney's parents' house to get some more stuff, and while I was there, I decided to see if those brownies had gotten any better.


They hadn't, and this time I did things in the correct order:


But soon enough, we were back at our house, and I was ready to make dreams come true.


I fired up the waffle iron and waited for it to get to temperature.


I lovingly placed a donut in the center so that the hole was aligned with the grid on the waffle iron.


I smashed it down lovingly and waited for a few minutes for it to brown and crisp up.


This first one I donated to Sidney for her enjoyment, as I had bigger plans (literally).

So I got to making more donut pancake waffle thingies, and while I waited, I decided to try a regular only once-cooked donut.


It was good, but there was more to try. After I had prepared 4 donut pancake waffle thingies and stacked them lovingly, I lovingly placed a pat of butter atop the stack, and then lovingly drenched the whole thing with pure Vermont medium maple syrup.


What a glorious view!


After resting for a few minutes, the outer layer of the donuts began to get a little stiff, making them the perfect consistency to cut! This was a perfect development!


At this point, I could not wait any longer, and I commenced eating sugar coated with sugar and topped with fat. It. Was. Glorious! Seriously, I would highly recommend this to anyone who likes anything. You will like this.

A couple of notes: use bigger donuts and a non-Belgian waffle iron for more flat, pancake-like donut pancake waffle thingies. Use bigger donuts and a Belgian waffle iron for more waffle-like donut pancake waffle thingies. Use any kind of donut and any kind of waffle iron for deliciousness.

The end!

No comments:

Post a Comment