Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Do Snails Like Crème Brûlée?

It's nice eating breakfast in the morning. 


I'm also on that PB2 grind right now. Today, it was 4 servings of original PB2.



After I got done with class and headed outside, I found a little friend racing across the sidewalk.


Actually, there were three of the little guys. In the picture below, you may be able to see them as little dots. There's 1 close by and 2 farther away.


When I got home, I couldn't even wait to get inside before I had my mid-afternoon snack.


This time, I managed to separate the entire top layer of caramel. This was an overabundance of pure magic!


For dinner, we would be having those over fried chicken thighs we made a couple nights ago.


Sidney also cooked up some apples with a little cinnamon and sugar.


She also surprised me by breaking out the place mats and fancy napkins. She managed to do this without me noticing.


I started off with a salad with croutons and ranch.


To go with our chicken and apples, we whipped up (literally) some mashed potatoes.


After dinner, we still had one crème brûlée left, so we shared it.


Contrary to what you may think, this hasn't been caramelized yet. For some reason, it just got brown when it baked. No matter, we dumped some sugar on top in preparations for the caramelization.


We weren't sure if we really had a functional torch or not, so we tried using a lighter.


Yeah, that didn't work. We eventually managed to eek out enough heat from the torch to fairly effectively caramelize the sugar.


After it rested for a couple of minutes, it had a nice crisp layer on top. The custard underneath was still nice and cold and smooth.


This was, again, one of the best batches of crème brûlée we've made, and it reminds me why this is one of my favorite desserts.

No comments:

Post a Comment