Thursday, November 17, 2016

It's Been a Long Wait, But It's Finally Here

Today is going to be a very significant day. More on that later. First, brotein.


Also, spearmint.


I found it cool how brightly my watch was glowing after walking outside in the sun and then entering the depths of Budig.


I was then delighted to find a wild Chick-fil-a sauce in the bridge between Malott and Haworth.


I passed on this opportunity for gains, though, and instead elected to eat another brotein bar. It was a nice day, so I parked myself on a bench and enjoyed the weather in my short break between classes.


When I got home, I rewarded myself with a cookie. What was the reward for? It was a "just because" reward. Don't judge me.


Then, when 1800 rolled around, it was time. Oh yes, it was finally time! The day that Clarkson was fired and Hammond and May resigned from Top Gear was a very dark day. It was a day that I'll never forget. It was a day that a big piece of my soul dried up, fell off, and was reduced to dust blowing in the wind.

But then some good news: Clarkson, Hammond, and May would be starting their own new automotive show. My soul began to rebuild. But they didn't have a network, a name, anything.

But then more good news: Amazon agreed to produce their new show as a part of its original Prime Video content. And it only got better with word that former Top Gear producers and directors had jumped ship to work on this new Amazon show. But there was still no release date in sight. There was still no title. There was still nothing.

More than a year passed by with very few details. There were the occasional snapshots of the trio in various parts of the world, posing with a variety of hypercars. But that was it. One day, though, big news broke. It was announced that the name of the new show would be The Grand Tour. Finally! Finally we had something to latch on to! But there were still few other details. No details about the show itself, no release date. But there was a name, and that was something.

Later on, it was revealed that the name was indicative of the format of the show. Each episode would be shot from a different location around the world from a mobile production studio. OK, this was something more. But what about when the show would be premiering?

And then it happened. The date of the premier was announced to the world. It was announced that the resurrection of Jezza, The Hamster, and Captain Slow was slated for November 18th, 2016. Finally! It was now so real that it would be happening, that I let myself feel the excitement that I'd been wanting to feel for over a year now. But now it was real, now it was actually happening.

Fast forward to a few days before the November 18th. A few websites had come out with a hack for watching the first episode a day earlier than anticipated. They pointed out that the release of the first episode was indeed scheduled for November 18th, but at midnight GMT. What does that mean? It means that the show would go live on the internet at midnight UK time. OK, so what? So...the UK is six hours ahead of the United States (central time zone). You see where I'm going with this?? Midnight minus 6 hours is 1800 in the Midwest, so I would actually be able to watch it at 1800 on November 17th! With that, when 1800 rolled around, you know exactly where I was:


I got a big plate of fettuccine alfredo and watched the first episode of The Grand Tour.


For real, it was an incredibly emotional experience. If you love cars and the old Top Gear, you understand what I mean.

After the episode was over, and after I had use about half our monthly internet allotment, I was feeling so incredibly happy. I kept it going by getting some wonderful dessert. First, there was more of that cobbler from last weekend...


...and there was also another caramel pretzel brownie.


The cobbler was supplemented with just a tad bit of ice cream.


This was a day that was more than a year and half in the making, and it didn't disappoint in the slightest.

No comments:

Post a Comment