Tuesday, August 16, 2016

August Birthdays: Part II

Happy birthday to me! Happy birthday to me! Happy birthday dear me! Happy birthday to me! To celebrate my birthday, I had a celebratory brotein bar for breakfast!


I told you I'd be going pretty light for most of the day today. For lunch, I had a handful of chocolate covered blueberries.


My mom and I then worked on my cake. It's the same one I made for her birthday aka the best cake ever. But that means sit of this:


And this.



To keep my metabolism elevated, I created yet another combination. This time, it was a chocolate covered blueberry in between two Cheez-its. It was good.


We then made the accompanying frosting, so more of this:


I then refrained from eating anything else until dinner, for which we went to 801 Chophouse in the Power and Light District. For years we've walked by, but today we walked in. Here we go.

This place is classy and has the atmosphere of the 1920s, or so they say. It's definitely nice, and you can tell. 

We started off with some bread. It was warm sourdough with butter.


It was actually very, very good, and all said and done we ended up with three servings like this, or 6 "loaves" in total. We like bread.

It was then time for salad. When at a steakhouse such as this, it is behooving to order a wedge salad. It just seems to fit so well for some reason. I got mine with a creamy Parmesan dressing.


It was then time. Time for the main course. Oh yes. I ordered the roasted Prime Rib in the larger "801 cut." But how large was this cut? The size wasn't listed on the menu, so I didn't really know what to expect. But, undeterred, I forged on. I ordered the larger cut medium rare with their spice rub and a shot on the grill. I got béarnaise and au jus on the side. When the steak came out, I couldn't believe my eyes. 


This steak was huge. From what I could gather based on a comment the server made, this steak was 24 ounces cooked. That's a big prime rib, and this one even still had the bone. It was glorious. It was so thick and big and the brief grilling was something I had never seen on a prime rib before. What a steak. It was cooked to medium rare, then with the grilling it was brought up to medium rare plus. Not bad.


The one thing I was disappointed with, if you can even call it disappointment, was the fact that I actually preferred the steak with the simple au jus more than with the béarnaise. Oh well, lesson learned. Save the béarnaise for the filets Oscar. But this steak with the grilling and the au jus and the bone...wow. Just wow. 

We also got some sides. Being on a boursin kick as of late, I jumped on the opportunity to order the Boursin Mashed Potatoes this place offered. 


My parents opted to order macaroni and cheese for a side dish.


I sampled a little of each.


The mashed potatoes were definitely really good, but they sort of tasted like really good garlic mashed potatoes. I didn't taste a uniquely boursin flavor, but they were still good. The macaroni and cheese, however, I enjoyed very much. I ended up finishing it off after everyone had finished eating. 

All in all, everything was very good, but the steak kind of blew me away. What with the bone and the grilling, I had never really experienced a prime rib like that previously. It was a great experience.

We didn't get dessert because we had it waiting at home...

Of course, I helped my mom bake a cake earlier, but I left the decorating all up to her. This is what she came up with:



If you ask me, she did a much better job at decorating than I did when I made her cake! But she also mentioned that there was a surprise waiting for me on the inside...


BOOM!!! Homemade Bavarian cream was separating the two layers!! This cake was setting up to be an all-time great.

All that was left to do was to add some accompaniment. 


I think this is fit to top my list of desserts. It's essentially the same cake I made for my mom a couple weeks ago, but with the addition of Bavarian cream. And anything is improved when Bavarian cream is added. Bavarian cream is a lot like bacon in that regard. It can only improve that which it is added to. So this cake, with the addition of Bavarian cream, is a better version!  It was incredibly good, and with the ice cream, there's no dessert better. 

It was a great day with my family. Good company, good food, a lot of love, and much generosity, all of which I am so thankful for. It means so much to me to have all of that in my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment