Friday, May 6, 2016

Taco Turkey Friday

Today was a day of trying new things. For instance, for breakfast I had a brotein/acid shake. Oh wait, that's not new.

Ugh... let's try again. After my shake, I accompanied Sidney and her mother to the gym for a rousing morning of pilates. Now, I'm not sure what pilates is exactly, but I'll describe what I experienced.

Upon setting up my yoga mat (pilates mat?) and taking off my shoes, we did some deep breathing and stretching routines. All was good. I was feeling nice and relaxed and generally pleasant. The next part of the routine involved weights, dumbbells, if you will. Now, I'm definitely no stranger to dumbbells, as I do my bro curls every Wednesday and my bro shoulders every Friday. So, I while other the other much smarter pilates-ers went for 2-3 pound dumbbells, I went for the heaviest there was in that room - 10 pounds.

I mean, I usually use 15 pound dumbbells when I do shoulders at the Rec, and I use much heavier dumbbells when I'm curling, so I thought I'd be alright.

It started out with regular palm forward curls. I could do those all day. Then we did some lateral curls. I was still going strong with my 10 pounders. But then, then... it was all about to change.

We started doing over-the-head work. All of this essentially turned into a 6-Way Shoulder Raise, except we added a press at the top and we never lowered our arms. I could keep up for a while, but those 10 pound weights began to feel like 100 pound weights. My shoulders were burning, but I kept going. And going. And going. Finally, when my left deltoid was only moderately destroyed and my right deltoid was MIA, it was time to put the weights down.

Needless to say I didn't miss any shoulder work by not going to the Rec today.

Nor did I miss any ab work.

The next part of the routine had us using big balls. Exercise balls. Mine was red. We did various core stretches and balance exercises, all of which involved ab work. This part was really enjoyable. It took me back to the days where I could be found playing with my Hippity Hop.

We ended with some relaxing stretches. It was a great time. I really enjoyed it.

When I returned home at about 0920 or so, I immediately started working on my Taxonomy and Phylogeny Project for my Systematics class. I worked on it from about 0930 until probably around 1645 or so. During this time, there was no time for the eating of a proper meal. I did, however, take a very short break to sample some of Sidney's magnificent baking.


But don't worry, I didn't eat all of this stuff (as much as I wanted to!). No, she happened to have an odd number of oatmeal cookies (for her Whoopie Pies), so I had a piece of one. I also had a small chunk of Devil's Chocolate cookie dough.


This stuff is just pure magic. It just tastes so good. Now you finally understand mu plight every Friday and Saturday. I have to witness this baking, and all the wonderful aromas that go with it, for about 5 hours without eating hardly any of it, and then I have to sell it all on Saturday! And the leftovers after the Market are fair game, but I'm trying to get lean, and cookies aren't the best thing for that. So I resist. It's incredibly difficult to do so, so I therefore proclaim that I have developed one of the strongest willpowers known to man.

Just before dinner, I treated myself to a snack.


A handful of nuts is what I chose. 

And when it came time for dinner, my will to resist was once again tested. Sidney suggested, much to everyone's pleasure, that we order Chinese take out from Rice House. I greatly enjoy Rice House's food. I always get the Beef and Broccoli with Lo Mein and a Crab Rangoon. I always eat it all. And that's exactly why I didn't order anything today. I knew that I would eat it all. So instead, I listened as Sidney ordered her food and everyone else's. I then went with her to pick up the food, just so I could smell it. With the food in the car, I was surrounded by such heavenly aromas. I could almost taste the MSG and sodium-packed splendor.

When we got back, I got to work making my own dinner. But in the meantime, Sidney was so kind to donate one of her rangoons to a good cause.


She also gave me a bite of beef and a bite of broccoli. Bless her!

But finally my dinner was done. Following Monday's script, I browned a pound of ground turkey. This time, though, I spiced it up, literally.


I'm all for anything with low sodium, but that often also means "low flavor." But this came at the recommendation of my mother, so I thought I'd give it a go.


It tasted sooo good. It tasted so good that I would gladly and happily eat a big bowl of ground turkey with this seasoning any time, even if I wasn't cutting. It was moderately spicy, too. By the time I finished this bowl, I had sweat running down my face. Admittedly, it doesn't take much heat for me to sweat, even if it doesn't taste that spicy. But this definitely tasted spicy. But it was a good spicy. I'm excited to add this stuff to a lot more of the food I make!

No comments:

Post a Comment