Thursday, May 5, 2016

Ooh, La Mer!

Yes, the Ocean. A controversial food source, the ocean. You see, I generally prefer my food be of terrestrial origin. But there are certain exceptions, one very important one of which will be discussed here later.

Spoiler alert: it was cheat day today.

With this in mind, I had a brotein bar for breakfast, but it was new flavor!



I must admit, and Scott will say I told you so, but this one was markedly better than the previous (chocolate deluxe).

For lunch, I decided to let loose. I once again returned to Mrs. E's as a patron, eager to make some unsolicited gains.


What I came up with was some baked chicken strips, roasted red potatoes, steamed broccoli, "Italian" pizza, sweet and sour pork, and macaroni and cheese with grilled onions and sausage. Of course, I had some ranch for the chicken strips (and whatever else I could dunk into it aka everything).

This looks like a lot of food, and maybe it was. But in all honesty I wasn't full afterward. I had to restrain myself from going back for more, for two reasons. One, I didn't want to gain back 10 pounds in one day. Two, I didn't want to be full for dinner.

So, as a compromise, I grabbed a salted caramel thingy on the way out.


Between lunch and dinner, I had some water and carbs to keep my stomach stretched out.



I toasted a couple small pieces of bread and spread some butter on them.

Then, at Sidney and her mother's nagging that I try some bruschetta, I compromised and tried some of the bruschetta "juice."

Upon conceding that I liked the juice, Sidney again started badgering me to try some actual bruschetta. She eventually cracked me, so I tried some. As surprising to myself as anyone else, I actually didn't mind the bruschetta. I must emphasize, the bruschetta was tolerable. I still wouldn't choose to eat it for pleasure, but it wasn't horrible. I think this was because of all the additional flavors, like cilantro et al. It was essentially chunky Italian salsa.

I then had a couple pretzel stick thingies, and then my preparation was complete.


And now, the moment we've (I've) all been waiting for. Dinner. Sweet, glorious, cheat day dinner.

Sidney and I met my parents and some friends at Jazz.


The first thing they do is bring out fresh bread with cajun butter.


It's literally all I can do to not knock everybody out and take the whole basket for myself.


I'm sure I ended up with probably 6 or so pieces of bread with butter. Let the cheating begin!

Convinced by my father's ordering of gumbo for an appetizer, I followed suit. He ordered the bowl, but I figured I'd just order the cup.


It came in a literal cup.


But it was oh so good. It had just the right amount of heat. I was beginning to sweat, but luckily I didn't order the bowl, so it didn't last long. My dad, though, was drenched in no time, especially since he ordered his main entrée of crawfish étouffée mixed (unknowingly) with jambalaya, which is spicy here.

Speaking of entrées, let's get to mine. I ordered the best thing on the menu. Chicken A La Mer, or "Chicken of the Sea." It's a fried chicken breast covered with a shrimp and crab Parmesan cream sauce. I can't even begin to describe how good this is. It's just, I mean, well imagine a, well it's sort of a... you know what, just look.


It comes with a vegetable medley, which is the first to go bye-bye. And quickly, since ain't nobody wanna wait for dis here Chicken A La Mer!!!



It's served on a bed of dirty rice, which only adds to the carby goodness. But honestly, this is just sooooooOOOOooooooOOOOOOooooooo unbelievably awesomely amazingly incredibly wonderfully delicious!

But then there was dessert.

Being a New Orleans-themes restaurant, ya gotta order a beignet. But I made the executive decision to order a filled beignet.


It was a thick fried pastry covered with powdered sugar (which I inevitably inhaled (literally)) and served with a vanilla brandy whipped cream. But, most importantly, it was filled with...


...melted chocolate chips. Yes, that's right. This was also amazing. It was actually quite large, and not that I couldn't've destroyed one by myself, but I shared one with my parents and Sidney.

What a day of food! What an incredible day of incredible food! Days like today make me wish every day was a cheat day!


And to top it all off, it was the last day of classes for the Spring 2016 semester!

No comments:

Post a Comment