Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Rags to Riches and Roller Coasters

From plate-sized slices of pizza and sketchy 2nd floor back hallway offices to obscene people at an amusement park, today was an interestingly enjoyable day.

It started out right.


This guy had the right idea:


I then met Quinn (the almost Wayward Gringo) at Pizza 51. I had never eaten there before, and neither had he. But he had come on strong recommendation. So we stood outside and creeped on the menu, stalker style. When we had finally (finally) decided on what we'd order (we were each going to order our own 14" pizza), we stepped inside. We opted for the pizza instead of the single slice, but upon reaching the counter, we spotted a display of how big a single slice is. We immediately turned back around and returned to our creeper stance. After some more deliberation, we decided to each get a single slice with 5 toppings. This was a special, and as such was less than half the size of a 14" pizza with several toppings.

What resulted from my order was nothing short of surprising.


It may be hard to judge the size of this slice, so here's a better picture.


Yes, it really is that big. It's so big that it was party cut into squares to make it easier to eat. This slice, we estimated was 13" from point to crust, which would make a full pizza of these slices 26" in diameter, which is actually the largest pizza they make. We then wondered if we could eat 8 of these things, which would equal a full 26" pizza. That didn't last long, though, because we had more important things to do (read: eat).

I'll go over a rundown of what was on my pizza.

First, Pizza 51 specializes in thin crust pizza. Now, this wasn't really all that thin, unless of course you compare it to a Chicago-style deep dish. But it was still good. As for the toppings, there was the standard pizza sauce and mozzarella. For my 5 additional toppings, I chose Italian sausage, bacon, onions, and a double shot of cream cheese. Here's a more detailed shot:


It was really, really good. I'm going so far as to say it's my second favorite pizza place to date. But nothing will ever surpass Leo's in my books. Up next, Fat Freddy's. I'll update the standings after this has been sampled.

But after Quinn and I were done eating, we had some business to attend to. Without going into too much detail, I'll just say that we traversed many a great stores, felt belittled a few times, lied to more than once, and confused several more. But after a mighty great struggle, when all hope seemed lost, we made it. Just know that we made it.

After these tribulations and eventual success, we parted ways as victors.

I then took my car back to my house, where my dad and I then took it to a mechanic to get the HVAC system checked.

Later, Sidney came by my house and we headed to Worlds of Fun. On the way, to avoid overpriced amusement park food, we stopped at a Taco Bell and Sidney ordered a chalupa. Once back on the road, she offered me a bite. I agreed to this, provided there were no tomatoes anywhere near where I would bite. This was arranged, and I took my bite. The next thing I noticed was the feeling of warm food running down my shirt and onto my shorts. Apparently, Sidney had forgotten that she was holding said chalupa, because when the empty paper bag had begun to fall, she dropped the chalupa to save the bag. I was now moderately covered in ground beef and shredded lettuce, but fortunately she was able to salvage about 90% of the chalupa. She cleaned me off nice and good, and I only had moderate food stains from the taco meat. Now the people at WoF would just think I was an average slob instead of a Grade A Level 100 ragamuffin.

But that's alright.

We still had a good time. Unfortunately, the one ride we wanted to ride the most (the Mamba) was closed for maintenance. But we made the best of it. We started off with Fury of the Nile, so Sidney could walk around in wet shoes the rest of the night. Then we road the Prowler.


We then headed to the Zulu, which is terrifying to think about in light of a power failure.


We then headed back to check on the Mamba, but it was still closed. We decided to head over towards the Patriot, with a stop at the Detonator along the way.



After the Patriot, we decided to take it easy and ride the Skyliner Ferris wheel.




After this relaxing intermission, we decided to ride Spinning Dragons. For anyone wanting to ride this: the breaks are awful. They jerk your head around like no other.

We then wanted to end the night with a ride on Sea Dragon, but it was closed down. We settled for one of my favorites, and actually the first ride I ever rode at Worlds of Fun, the Scrambler.

With the park now officially closed, we headed for the gate. When we got there, we noticed that a Dippin' Dots stand was still open. Sidney decided to get the cookies and cream flavor.



Of course I had to have a few bites.

When I got home, I had some chicken thighs that my parents had cooked.


And a splash of honey mustard.


It was a really good day. I ate some great food, got a lot accomplished, and had a blast at Worlds of Fun with Sidney. It's going to be tough to top this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment