Saturday, May 28, 2016

Breakfast Burritos and Royals Comebacks

Same old, same old.

Same old delicious breakfast burrito,






same old delicious grilled chicken.


After the Market, Sidney and I joined my mom and we all headed up to the lake. We made a quick detour back to Sidney's house, and then took the back roads all the way. In the meantime, the Royals were playing, so of course we tuned in. They had eventually fallen behind by a score of 7 runs to 1. By the time it was the 9th inning, almost all hope was lost. It seemed bleak, but I say "almost" because, with this team, they are never out of a game until the 27th out. Our first batter in the 9th inning struck out against their closer. Then our next batter hit a home run. After a few more hits, several errors by the opposing team, and some very generous gifts from their pitchers, the Royals completed an incredibly miraculous comeback, scoring 7 runs in the bottom of the 9th to win the game in walk off fashion. This was no ordinary Royals comeback, which are very common. What's even more amazing is the fact that this comeback came just one day after a 5-run comeback victory the day before. It was really quite something to listen to while driving through the countryside!

We eventually found our way to the lake, riding an extreme buzz from the excitement of the game. For a snack, my mom and Sidney convinced me to try some "fresh salsa" that looked to me more like chunks of tomato.


We had some deli-fresh and very festive tortilla chips to go with it.

So I tried it. And I, harboring an impassioned hatred of tomatoes, actually sort of liked it. It wasn't gut-wrenchingly vomit inducing, so either I and my tastebuds are maturing and changing, or there was something in this that masked the tomatoes' true flavor. Or maybe the tomatoes themselves were just very bland. Whatever it was, I'm not saying that I now like tomatoes, nor that I will start eating them more frequently. In fact, I will not change my stance on tomatoes at this time; I am simply stating that in this particular situation I did not find them revolting.

Later for dinner, we had some real food. And by real food, I mean food that's not tomatoes.


I had a pecan and a dark chocolate-covered almond. And that was my entire dinner.

Just kidding.

There was more food cooking...


We were getting ready to use the brand new grill that I so expertly had just built by hand. And by built by hand, I mean put some pipes together and tightened some screws. It was a labor of love. And this was precisely the last time that this grill would ever be clean.



These were chicken sausages from the deli at Sprouts. There were two varieties: half were chicken Parmesan and the others were spinach feta.


The ones with visible green splotches are of the spinach feta variety.


I got half a sausage's worth of each variety and stuck 'em on a bun. Each sausage was about a half pound, so a half a sausage was about 4 ounces. In my opinion, the chicken Parmesan kind had a slightly stronger flavor, but both were actually really good. I had some chips to complement and add texture.

Having some room left in my daily calorie count, I had two more halves, or 8 more ounces of chicken sausage.


And with only a few calories remaining, I had a small piece of vanilla-flavored graham cracker.


It was a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment