Thursday, February 25, 2016

Sliding My Way Into Hugeness

Today. Wow. What can be said about today? What a day today was! It started off well enough. I was prepared, or so I thought, for the long haul with a quiver of bars to get me through my day.


I had my usual breakfast bar, and the day seemed to be on par. I received a grade on a homework assignment in my Systematics class that seemed a little knit-picky, but I chalked it up to a lack of experience. Moving on, the reading assignment for today in my English class was cancelled in favor of watching War of the Worlds to compare it to the original novel, The War of the Worlds. This was much to my delight, and for reasons twofold. One, I really dislike reading. I suffer from novelepsy, and for whatever reason I fall asleep whenever I attempt to read novels. I can read nearly everything else in perfect wakefulness, but novels, nope. Two, I really like Spielberg's take on the classic Martian invasion/apocalypse scenario originally penned by H.G. Wells. That is pretty much where this day went from tolerable to dispirited. 

During my 45-minute break between classes in which I normally eat my lunch, I actually forgot to do so today. I remembered 10 minutes before my class, which is enough time, but still rather irksome. The class itself was rather irksome as well, and then it really went downhill again.

A new homework assignment had been posted in my Systematics class, so a friend of mine and I decided to work on it. It turned out to be more confusing than we had anticipated, adding to our hysteria. We eventually called it a day and resolved to seek assistance. But believe it or not, this wasn't the worst part of the day. That honor belongs to physics. Oh physics, how I wish you would be more cooperative. My physics lab involved testing various properties of circuits, like potential difference, current, and resistance. Easy enough in theory, yes. However, the multimeters we were using, while working fine initially, all blew their fuses at exactly the same time. All but one meter were rendered inoperable. Oh, how the frustrations mounted. On top of this, we have to calculate uncertainty and experimental error. If you've ever had to do this, you know how terrible and tedious it is. This was the low point of the day. 

On the bright side, the high point of the day was just around the corner now. I got home and ate all the remaining sliders from yesterday, while watching a NOVA anthropological documentary about the history and relationship between Homo sapiens and Homo neanderthalensis, the combination of which instantly lifted my spirits and my metabolism and my hugeness.  


Overall, I've had better days, but I'm going to bed happy. That's important.

No comments:

Post a Comment