Thursday, January 28, 2016

Hors What?

Today was a lot like yesterday, except without the hoisting of heaviness. And without the carbcentric gains. And ice cream. Alright, so today wasn't THAT similar to yesterday. First of all, be proud of me. I didn't have two dark chocolate squares for breakfast! Alight, now rescind your pride. The only reason I didn't have chocolate for breakfast is because I ran out yesterday. I did, however, replace the chocolate with a brotein granola bar, two of which I also had for lunch. And another one of which I had for a mid-afternoon snack (my dinner was to be delayed significantly). For those keeping score, that's a total of four brotein bars today, for a grand total of 40 grams of brotein, 60 grams of carbs, 680 calories, and 100% bro. Really, I owe the fact that I'm still sucking air to those things. Without them, I would literally be dead or extremely impoverished. I mean, have you seen the prices of food?

But anyway, blah blah blah brotein bars blah blah blah. That's not exciting. What IS exciting is variety. 

I had an oft-absent opportunity today to eat some interesting things. I attended and event that was catered by a local grocery store. The description of the culinary refreshments provided by the event staff included the phrase "heavy hors d'oeuvres." I wasn't sure exactly what this meant, but I was interested and anxious to find out.

It seems to me to be commonplace in the world of the hors d'oeuvre to be a small (obviously), interesting combination of ingredients that one may not initially think might go together. Or maybe it's just me, seeing as the only ingredients I know are brotein, carbs, and gains. Needless to say, there were some interesting and actually rather delicious offerings.



Nearest on the plate above is some kind of steak croissant. Yes, believe it or not, there was some brotein hiding among all those carbs. Immediately to the right is a carrot-olive oil concoction in a miniature tart shell thingy. Continuing counterclockwise, some peppers, green beans, and asparagus were welcomed familiar faces. On around now to the 11 o'clock position we find a cup made of bacon containing tiny apple pieces in bleu cheese. And last, but definitely not least, there is a cracker with an avocado and crab mixture gracing the top. I had multiples of each (except the bacon, apple, bleu cheese thing, because I am not fond of the latter).


But, as is to be expected, simple finger foods (at least the way I eat them) are no match for my cavernous stomach. I was simply not satiated. I needed more gains than hors d'oeuvres can provide. So we blast on to dinner. Today it again comes served in bowls. Steak soup. Boom.



Clearly, based on these photos, steak soup contains a lot more stuff than just steak. There're things like, carrots, potatoes, broccoli, beans, barley...the list goes on. I'm sure there's a Volkswagen Beetle in there somewhere. All of this comes together to provide amazing taste, a respectable amount of brotein, a few rogue carbs here and there, a bunch of wonderful nutrients, some beneficial fiber, and an economical way to commute!
After finishing two large bowls of the stuff, I sadly realized that I had neglected the dinner rolls that so desperately wanted to introduce more carbs into my life. Being a people-pleaser, I of course obliged.

And again, bread and butter simply can't be beat. This time, it was the sole dessert for the day, because even I have some self restraint. 

No comments:

Post a Comment