Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Homemade Gyros

I was finally starting to sense a restoration in my carb/brotein equilibrium, so I went ahead and had a brotein bar for breakfast.


When I got home, Sidney informed me that she wanted to make gyros. I was thrilled and a little hesitant at the same time. The last time I tried to make gyros, it took 2 days, half a bottle of oil was spilled on the ground, and they tasted fairly bland. But she had a different way. She had a way that only took 30 minutes. So I took a step back and let her do her thang.


She mixed up a bunch of herbs and spices with some meat, she mixed up some yogurt cucumber sauce, she formed the meat into patties, and fried 'em up in a pan like burgers.



Genius!! Although these wouldn't have the same texture as gyros made from meat run through a food processor, they certainly required infinitely less clean up. And what's more important, taste or texture? I would vote for taste, personally. After all, my gyros had great texture. They just didn't taste like much.

After she finished cooking all the patties, we got everything lined up and ready to go.


We had some pocket pitas, some chopped onions, some diced tomatoes (I don't know why), some lettuce, the meat, and the sauce. Here's how I built my first round of gyros. I divided a patty into two halves, placed them gingerly into a pita, and followed them with some onions.


I then dabbed a little lettuce on top.


I followed this with some yogurt  cucumber sauce.


I grabbed another pita and attempted the same thing, but apparently I was too aggressive as it ripped straight away. I ended up only getting some meat and sauce in that one. And, in accordance with traditional Greek cuisine, I got some cheesy ranch potatoes for a side.


After eating this first round, I was impressed. I couldn't help but go in for round two. I got two more pitas and place a whole patty in each one. I didn't bother with the onions or lettuce because the meat tasted so good by itself. And in an attempt to limit messiness, I got some sauce on the side for dipping. This way I could better control where it went.


When we were putting food away, I found a Reese's cup in the fridge. Mine!!


It was a little deformed, I think from having previously slightly melted.


And, since today is Wednesday, I had been to Sprouts. You know what that means! This time I got some classic gumi bears and some gummi cherries.


No comments:

Post a Comment