Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Back to Reality

Unfortunately, I didn't bring any brotein bars with me to my parents' house, and not wanting to buy any more I made do with this granola bar. 


It was surprisingly good. It was actually better than my brotein bars. It doesn't have 20 grams of brotein though, so it's not worth it.


But it was worth it today!

I then did my parents a favor by mowing the lawn.


I even edged everything! Look at me go!

When my mom got home, we decided to attempt to make sugar free frosting by using powdered erythritol instead of powdered sugar.


It tasted very much like regular chocolate frosting, but there was something slightly different about it. It had some sort of tangy, cooling taste that is very hard to describe. It also may have had a slight aftertaste, but this was minor. We came to the conclusion that it could very well be used in place of tradition frosting, but that it would be very expensive to do so! Erythritol is not cheap, and this takes a lot of it!

For lunch, I had another one of those usually not worth it but today totally worth it granola bars.


Still on the high and over inflated confidence from the lasagna and cake, I decided to attempt to make butter chicken for dinner tonight. It was coming together really well, and we even had some rice and naan to go with it.


Admittedly, the naan was prepackaged. But that's okay.


The rice was brown basmati.


Everything came together nicely...


...especially with some fresh cilantro for a nice littler garnish.


I poured some butter chicken out onto a comfy bed of rice and dug in.


Was I just as blown away with this butter chicken as I had been with the lasagna and cake? Quite simply, no. When all the vegetables had been cooking with all the spices, it smelled so good and so much like butter chicken smells on the buffet of a good Indian restaurant. But when I tasted it, all I tasted was an almost overwhelming taste of ginger. You see, this is most likely my mistake as I elected to use ground ginger instead of fresh grated ginger, but even so that really rich butter chicken flavor was simply lacking. I could almost taste it. It was right there, trying so hard to come out, but it just wouldn't. It wasn't bad by any means, but it wasn't as good as my now likely unreasonably high expectations wanted it to be. I'll try again, maybe with a different recipe, but I'm not giving up. If I could make a really good butter chicken at home, I would be so happy. It's one of my favorite foods after all!!

Also, this garlic naan was really good with butter.


But what isn't good with butter???

No comments:

Post a Comment