Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Return Travel Day, Part I: Buffet Day (HUGE)

Alright, so today was another travel day. Of course, this meant throwing any kind of eating plan out the window. But I was bound and determined to break this mold. Also, I woke up this morning still feeling full, even though I didn't eat that much yesterday. Anyway, I went down to the hotel lobby during breakfast and grabbed two bananas. One was for breakfast now, one would be for a snack on the road later.


So, I had my banana breakfast. We then headed out on our way back home. Hours passed. I refrained from eating my banana, partially because I wasn't all that hungry and partially because I wanted to eat as little as possible. Waiting as long as possible to eat my lunch banana allowed me to eat less over all. Eventually, though, lunch time came around, so I had my banana lunch.


Interestingly, it was about a half hour later that we decided to stop for lunch. We found a Chinese buffet in Washington, Pennsylvania that specialized in not only Chinese food, but also in Italian, Japanese, and American foods. I knew then and there that I was in trouble. Upon walking in to this place, I was shocked at the sheer size of it!


They had rows and rows and rows of Chinese foods, American foods, and Italian foods, and they had a sushi bar in the back. I took several minutes just to walk through the rows of food. I then grabbed my plate and got to work. I threw Buffetology to the wind this time simply because of the sheer number of options. I simply couldn't try everything, so I had to trust my eyes and my gut and pick the things that looked and/or sounded the best. The problem was that this didn't narrow it down quite enough. I then decided to organize my selections into two groups: broteins and carbs. To this end I started off with two plates before I ever began eating.


Up first is the brotein plate. This plate featured, from 6 o'clock moving clockwise, pepper steak, New York steak, black pepper chicken, honey chicken, crab meat with cheese, a chicken tender, teriyaki chicken, and an Italian sausage.


Up next is the carb plate. This plate featured, starting at 12 o'clock and moving clockwise, lo mein, fried dumpling with sausage, butter potatoes, a cream cheese tart, macaroni and cheese, cream cheese wontons, and a baked potato with cheese and bacon.


Everything was actually really pretty good, with the standouts being the lo mein, baked potatoes with cheese and bacon, and everything cream cheese related. It's hard to mess up cream cheese, but still. For my third plate, I got exclusively more carbs. Specifically, I got more baked potatoes with cheese and bacon, lo mein, cream cheese tarts, and I also added in some cheese sticks.


By now I was beginning to feel a little full, but I hadn't even had dessert yet. Sidney got a big bowl of tapioca pudding, but she didn't like it claiming that it tasted like Dr. Pepper. Her dad and I finished it off for her.


I then went and got a plate full of desserts.


For the third time on this trip, I encountered something eerily similar to what I've seen at Mrs. E's. This time, it was this layered dessert thingy. Unfortunately, this was coffee flavored, but I persevered and finished it.


To top everything off, I got an ice cream cone to go with chocolate and cookie dough-flavored ice creams.


With this lunch, I very effectively proved my theory that on travel days eating plans simply get thrown out the window. I was trying to eat light again, but the sheer massiveness of this buffet got the better of me. The crazy part is that this buffet was less than $7. I think this may be the best deal ever in the history of restaurant meals. I mean, for less than $7, I ate so much food that I was actually miserable for the rest of the day. That's saying something...!

Ok, a part of that misery was contributed by what you'll soon witness. First, after the buffet, I snacked on some Sour Patch Kids.


Then, several hours of driving after the buffet, everyone else, all of whom hadn't utterly stuffed their faces at the buffet, was hungry again. They decided to stop at a Wendy's. The problem is that, especially when travelling, one does not stop at a Wendy's and not get a Frosty. So, Sidney and I both got small Frosties.


Deciding to go all in this time, I also ordered a small order of fries.


Thataway, I could do this:


And with all of my frosty and all of my fries eaten, I was sick. I felt probably more full than I have felt since I ate the Everest. But this was a slightly different kind of fullness. This was more of a "I'm rapidly filling with gas to the point where it hurts to inhale but I'm in a car so I can't unleash a torrent of flatulence" full. About 2 hours after my fries and Frosty, I was in bad shape. I was doing everything in my power to get into positions that lengthened my abdomen and allowed a bigger space for the expanding gas to fill. It reached a point, though, in which no position attainable in a moving car with 5 other people made a difference. I just had to stick it out until we got to our hotel for the night. Eventually, we made it to the hotel before I exploded. Once there, I was able to safely release the built up gas in a safe and controlled manner. After this disarming, several members of our party decided that they were hungry and wanted McDonald's. And although I had relieved many atmospheres of pressure, I still was in no condition to eat, especially McDonald's. I did, though, feel spry enough to accompany them to the McDonald's down the road, where I ordered a large water.


This was the end of a day that started off with good intentions, took a turn for the better, and then a turn for the extremely uncomfortable. It all turned out alright, though, and here I sit, in Cloverdale, Indiana, just over 7 hours from home. Tomorrow should be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment