Thursday, June 16, 2016

So, it's a roundball, but which one?

It's KU, so it's obviously the KU Roundball Classic!



Every year, former KU basketball players descend on Lawrence Free State High School to play in a charity exhibition basketball game that benefits children in need. Players range from former walk-ons and all-Americans to current and former NBA players and the occasional reality TV star. It's always an enjoyable experience.

Earlier in the day, I was motivated to get out of bed by the prospect of doing what I do every Thursday...helping Sidney bake cookies for the Market! I ate a brotein fiber bar to jumps start my day, then we started baking! I was humming along, mixing some cookies, mixing some cookies there. I got to the first recipe that calls for walnuts, so I got some walnuts, chopped 'em up, and added them straight into the bowl. I then grabbed a couple walnut and popped them into my mouth. They were yum yum yummy!


After Sidney had finished baking all the cookies, she, as is becoming a weekly tradition, made a Frankencookie out of some surplus dough fragments.


This time, though, it wasn't just two cookies joined in a match made in cookie heaven.


Oh no, it was twice as good! That's right, there were pieces of Devil's Chocolate, Chocolate Chip, Chocolate Chip Walnut Oatmeal, and Breakfast cookie, all contained in one glorious cookie.


We split it in half, and made it a meal.


It was still a little warm, and the chocolate chips were still oh so ooey gooey and wonderful.


And this was all that I ate for most of the day. A brotein fiber bar and half a cookie will only get you so far. But I didn't want to eat anything else in case we went somewhere after the Roundball Classic. Sidney couldn't wait, however, so she had my parents, who were on their way, stop at Taco Bell. She got a chalupa...


...and a soft taco.


Yes, I had a bite of each. But only one.

And sure enough, after the Roundball Classic, my dad wanted to go to Freddy's to get a Turtle Sundae. My food rationing had come in handy! I looked up the nutrition facts for a double bacon cheeseburger and small fries, and that's what I ordered.


Turns out the burger was around 700 calories and the fries, a small order mind you, was around 470 calories. That was higher than I expected, but alright.


But it really was worth it. After this burger and fries, I made an official proclamation that Freddy's is my favorite fast food restaurant. This later sparked an interesting and lengthy discussion about what exactly is defined as fast food, but I stand by proclamation. After accounting for the burger and fries, I still had about 400 calories left, so I looked up how many calories were in a Mini Turtle Sundae. I was sure that it would be around 400 calories, and if it was a little over, that would be alright. I was shocked when I found out that the Mini, yes the Mini, has over 800 calories. That effectively made my decision for me, so instead of getting a Turtle Sundae, I indulged in a little of the "fry sauce" that Freddy's has become so well known for.


And since they sell it by the bottle in-store, the nutrition facts were readily available. Two tablespoons of sauce has about 110 calories, and I figure one of these little cups is about that if not a little more, so I should be good.


It really is addicting, and it's not just for fries. It's great on burgers, too!

And with that, Sidney and I parted ways with my parents, we headed home, and went to bed. We had some fun stuff to do at 0600 the next morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment