Thursday, June 23, 2016

Beef + Broccoli

This morning, Sidney and I got up early to head over to our new house to do a little cleaning. In all reality, we do not own the house and it was built in 1928, so I use the terms "ours" and "new" rather loosely. 

Anyway, when we got over to the house, I found a nice little surprise waiting for me in one of the bookshelves. 


Apparently, this house cares deeply about my daily brotein needs! I think I can get used to this. After a little while of cleaning, sweeping, and sweating, Sidney and I headed back to her parents' house to bake cookies for the Market.

A very short while into baking, and the inevitable has happened once more. There was an odd number of oatmeal cookies for the Whoopie Pies, so Sidney slapped some frosting on the odd one out and split it with me.


We made it through the rest of the cookies without too many more macro-busting incidents. But after mixing up the Breakfast Cookies, I grabbed a small handful of raisins and ate them.


This has become somewhat of a tradition for me.

Speaking of burgeoning traditions, we did in fact have another Frankencookie this week. This is about the 5th or so week in a row that this has happened. What a shame...


I also had to deal with these sitting right in front of me...


Unfortunately, if I eat all the cookies, we can't sell them. Luckily, we had this to satisfy my cookie craving.


Sidney and I split it down the middle, and it was still warm.


There really is nothing quite like a Sidney cookie fresh out of the oven. The wonderful thing about Frankencookies is that you get to experience more than one (sometimes up to 4!) different kinds of cookies without eating that many individual cookies. Actually, why don't we just make Frankencookies on purpose? I might be on to something here!

But brilliant ideas aside, it was now lunch time. I planned on heating up a leftover chicken thigh from the other night, but seeing as I could not locate the leftover chicken (probably due to the fact that it was traversing someone's alimentary canal), I opted for the second best option.


No, I don't mean the crock pot (that's for later!). I am referring to the brotein bar chilling on the lid.

But soon enough, here I am talking about the crock pot. Actually, it's more so about what's inside of the crock pot.

Sidney's mom decided to make the delicious Chinese staple that is Beef and Broccoli. It simmered for a good part of the day, menacingly teasing me with the aromas of fresh garlic. But now it was my time.

First, I needed a little bit of rice to provide a comfy bed for the beef and broccoli to rest on, and to soak up any extra sauce.


Then it was time for the main event. Behold the gloriousness that fills this bowl:


This was good. Really good. Super really good. Like so good that I, gee I don't know, had to get more!

Of course I got a little more rice...


But I really focused on the beef and broccoli. Mmmm, mmm, mmm it was so good!


This was a perfect way to end the day. The flavor of this was so good that I wasn't even craving any dessert afterward. I was perfectly happy with this being the last food I tasted today. And hopefully I judged portion sizes well enough that I didn't go over on calories. Anyway, it was a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment