Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Taco Burger Wednesday

There was some leftover chicken from last night, so I thought that that would be good for breakfast. But it simply wouldn't be enough by itself. Luckily, I had a brand new box of brotein bars in a flavor brand new to me. So I thought I'd give 'em a try. 


(The one on the right)


The moment of truth was upon me.


The results are in...and...they're promising. I really like the chocolate peanut butter flavor. I can't say whether it's better than the chocolate peanut caramel or not, but what I can say is that the chocolate deluxe definitely comes in third. In fact, it's not even close. These two flavors, while very close, are way above the chocolate flavor.

And then came my chicken leftovers.


Grilled chicken really is delicious, especially when coated in marinade and some onion and garlic powder. And especially when it's chicken thighs.

It was getting close to dinner time when an idea came across my mind (shocking, I know). But anyway, there was 3.5 pounds of 93% lean ground beef sitting in the fridge begging to be eaten. I didn't sound palatable to eat it raw, and burgers have been done a million times. So I thought maybe we could make burgers.

But there was a twist.

I remembered how good that taco seasoning I had a couple weeks back was in that ground turkey, so I decided I'd make taco burgers. The only problem was that I didn't have any of that sodium-free taco seasoning. So I decided to make my own. I looked up a basic taco seasoning recipe, then threw it together with reckless abandon. It consisted of ancho chile powder, paprika, garlic and onion powders, and cumin. I put the beef in a bowl, dumped the bro mix in, and proceeded to lovingly knead the meat with my bare hands until I felt a satisfactory level of homogenization had been achieved.

I then enlisted my dad to help cook the patties on the massive griddle out back. In all fairness, he cooked 99% of the patties.


With the burgers all cooked and the buns all toasted, it was time to assemble the taco, er, burger, oh whatever it is.


My final assembly consisted of the following components:

  • toasted high fiber bun
  • taco seasoned beef patty
  • shredded colby jack cheese
  • sour cream
  • white onions
  • lettuce



It was, in all my humbleness, surprisingly tasty. Of course, those of you who eat food regularly would probably notice the lack of salt. But a lack of salt doesn't mean a lack of flavor. These were still really good.

As a post-dinner snack, I decided to have another brotein bar. This was partly because I wanted more brotein and partly because these are just so good.


Sidney and I then went on a roller skating date, because we're 14 years old.


No really, I think everybody else at the roller skating place were 14 years old.


But it was all well and good. I felt like I was at a disco, and it brought back memories of elementary and middle school field trips where we frequented skating rinks. Nostalgia was strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment