Thursday, May 19, 2016

Crème de la crème

Crème brûlée and éclair cake. There were a lot of symbols in today's desserts.

But you can't eat dessert first! (Just kidding, you totally can. Should, in fact.) 

But today I did not. I started the day with a brotein bar.


Then Sidney and I started on our famous crème brûlées. We used six egg yolks, so that left us with some egg whites left over. You can do the math, but there were around six egg whites left. What do we do with leftover egg whites? We make egg white omelettes, of course!


I sauteed some onions, added in the egg whites, and then threw some cheese on top. It was actually pretty good.

Later, Sidney and I decided to go play some mini golf. I took her to the beautiful downtown Parkville, MO. The course was a bit hilly, but her reward for beating me was an ice cream cone. They were out of chocolate flavors, so I was forced to be fruity for once. I got cherry...


...and she got strawberry.


We enjoyed the rooftop view while eating our ice cream. Both flavors were actually very good, though the waffle cones paled in comparison to those from Sylas and Maddy's. But this experience with fruity flavored ice cream has me seriously considering making my next visit to Sylas and Maddy's a fruity one as well.

We then decided to walk around the small downtown area to see what there was. We went into a sweet shop, you know, just to look around. Unfortunately, while we there, I was informed that none of the chicken eggs Sidney's mom was incubating developed into chicks, and that they had officially lost their battles with biology. Sidney was heartbroken upon learning of this, so she decided to drown her sadness in fudge.


This variety of fudge was cookies-and-cream flavored, and it was pretty good.

We then strolled through English Landing Park next to the Missouri River. We swung on the swings that my dad and I would frequent when I was younger.


These swings are simply some of the best swings ever. They are tall, each one has its own individual frame section, and they are just awesome! I always wondered how my dad could go so high, and now here I am swinging higher than Sidney with her wondering how I could swing so high. It was a cool moment.


We then walked along some of the paths through the park, watched the trains go by on the nearby track, and enjoyed the nice weather.

After a little while of this, we headed back home. Once there, I had a leftover taco burger patty with Velveeta "sharp cheddar" "cheese." This tasted really, really good. It was admittedly better than the burger I had yesterday that had the shredded Colby and Monterey Jack on it.


We all then went down to Ye Olde Pizza Ranch for some good eats. My dad has been wanting to return and swears by the fried chicken. I had never been to Pizza Ranch, so I was excited to try it.


It was a buffet style kind of place, but I employed a slightly different strategy. Building on the technique I used at Aladdin Cafe (where I started with two plates from the beginning), here I started with three.


I got one plate that featured a salad of spinach, hard boiled eggs, red onions, cheese, and the thickest ranch I had ever seen.


The next plate consisted of their pizza-related offerings. There was a slice each of barbecue pizza and Buffalo chicken pizza, there was a small piece of cheese bread stick, a couple fried potato wedges, and some homemade potato chips.


My final plate consisted, of course, of a selection of their fried chicken.


I'll say that the salad was very good, though how could it not be with all the cheese and ranch that I put on it? The pizza was pretty good, though pretty run of the mill. It was nice to see some of the specialty ones like barbecue and Buffalo chicken. The fried potato wedges were decent. The chips were good, though each one probably had about 10 grams of salt on it. And the chicken was really good. It probably was the best thing they had. It showed it, too, as it would run out soon after they would bring out a fresh batch. That being said, nothing tasted bad, and it was nice to have such a wide variety of food. 

I went back and got a biscuit, which seemed to have some kind of butter solution injected directly into it. 


I then tried a slice of the Alfredo pizza, and it was good too. I think my favorite rendition of pizza was the Buffalo chicken pizza, though.


I then had another piece of fried chicken; a leg this time.


After this, I was pretty well full, and decided to call it good. Plus, I knew that we had desserts waiting for us when we got home!

Up first were the Sidney and Zach specials.


We didn't have a suitable torch, so I caramelized them under the broiler. This method takes longer, makes the ramekins too hot to handle, and heats up the custard, so I would highly recommend using the torch method whenever possible.

Contrary to what the above photo may have you believe, we did indeed make 4. One of them was taking its sweet time caramelizing, and it eventually past the point of no return on prettiness. It poofed way up in the middle for some reason.


One of the hallmarks to look for when eating this dessert is the crunchiness of the top. Well, I think this one passed that test! The whole top was essentially solid!


But it was still delicious, with the custard underneath perfectly cooked and set, although it was a bit warm due to the broiling.

Next, we had my mom's eclair cake.


It was super delicious, and actually caused a small controversy in Sidney's household when we brought it back because there were only three pieces up for grabs. You snooze, you lose!

After eating this piece of eclair cake, I wanted just a little bit more, so I got a couple spoonfuls of the leftover pudding filling.


MmmMmmMmmMmmMmmm! Today was a very enjoyable day, from the fun to the food!

No comments:

Post a Comment