Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Cauli Me Crazy, Breadstick!

I had something yummy for breakfast this morning...


These are Buffalo chicken nuggets, courtesy of my mom. They were made with chicken breast, Guy Fieri Buffalo sauce, and panko breadcrumbs, then baked. They were good...


...especially with a little ranch!

Throughout the day, to keep my metabolism up, I snacked on a few pecans and chocolate covered almonds.


I also took an antioxidant supplement.


And when it came time for dinner, my mom and I decided to do a little food experimentation. We wanted to make cheesy breadsticks, but since we are both trying to limit our carb intake, traditional bread-based breadsticks were out of the question. Luckily, my mom saw a recipe online for breadless breadsticks. In place of the bread, cauliflower was used. Apparently, cauliflower is like the stem cell of the food world. It can pretty much be turned into anything. After the addition of some eggs and cheese and a quick baking session, this is what the cauliflower sticks looked like.


Looks pretty good to me! We then topped this with some mozzarella, threw it back into the oven for a sec, and then sliced them into the traditional shape. 


Our "dough" was a little more runny than we expected, so I thought that perhaps the texture of this cauliflower creation wouldn't really resemble that of bread. But even though these were quite thin, they really did have an acceptably similar texture to actual breadsticks. 

But what about taste? Well, let me tell you, even if I wasn't actively attempting to limit my carb intake, I would still gladly eat these. They were really good! And not good in a different way than regular breadsticks. They honestly tasted really similar to bready breadsticks. I was completely satisfied with how they turned out, and I will definitely make them again.

To complement these cheesy cauliflower sticks, we made some chicken for a side. We took some boneless and skinless chicken thighs, coated them in zesty Italian dressing/marinade, sprinkled some garlic powder and onion powder on top, and baked them in a pan on the grill.



I had about a quarter of the 2.6 pounds of chicken we cooked, along with about a quarter of the cauliflower sticks we made. I did have half a stick that was left over. 

To wash all this deliciousness down, we all had a glass of deliciousness. Behold...


Shatto is far and away the best milk I've ever had. It's just amazing. They've got a bunch of different flavors (strawberry, root beer, coffee, cotton candy, orange cream), but their chocolate is by far the best one. Like I've mentioned before, it literally tastes like melted chocolate ice cream. Nothing can beat that. 

But today, I thought I'd try the banana flavored milk. (I should mention that all the flavors mentioned previously have been whole milk flavors). Now, I'm not really that big of a fan of banana-flavored stuff, but I know that 1) a lot of people, including my dad and Sidney, like banana-flavored stuff, and 2) Shatto makes ridiculously good milk. Plus, I had never tried the banana flavor before, so I thought I'd give it a try. 


You can't really tell from this picture, but the milk was actually yellow, no doubt from the real bananas that were in it (turmeric). All kidding aside, it was flavored naturally, although sweetened. And I could tell it was sweetened, as it tasted sort of like the milk that is left over after eating a sweet cereal. But it wasn't too sweet. It didn't leave a funny aftertaste in my mouth. It was super smooth, and super delicious. Although it wasn't as good as the chocolate flavor, I could easily substitute all the beverages in my life with this milk. Unfortunately, like all the flavors of Shatto, it's very calorie-dense and very expensive, so I'll be sticking with mostly tap water for the foreseeable future. 

But the moral of the story is that Shatto is very, very good, and cauliflower = bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment