Saturday, April 16, 2016

Tankurrito Challenge

In light of the recent Randy Santel hype train that's been rolling through our lives, I accompanied Quinn and Andrew to Lupita's Mexican Restaurant in Topeka so that they could take on the "Tankurrito" 6-pound burrito challenge.

But more on that later.

First, my food. Since I wouldn't be participating in this challenge, I actually ate breakfast. And by breakfast, I mean actual food and not 25,000 mL of water. Anyway, like all other Market breakfasts, both in the past and in the future, my breakfast this morning consisted of a breakfast burrito with the best salsa ever made. 





I like to show this progression because, in a way, it allows me to more accurately relive this glorious moment. I opted for the burrito with sausage today, just because I wanted some extra brotein. 

After the market, having nearly sold out of everything, one of the few survivors would become lunch (part 1).


This is most likely the best blueberry muffin ever made (see a trend?). Since it's a non-lifting day and I'm cutting, I justified this much carbs by agreeing to split this muffing with Sidney. In all honesty, she may have gotten slightly more than half, which is alright. At least I'm still getting lean. 

Just kidding. When we got home, I found this waiting for me.


It's a chocolate banana nut chocolate chip muffin. Pretty much it's a chocolate banana bread muffin. I again justified this muffin by splitting it in half with Sidney.


It was so good that by the time I finished it I didn't even care how many calories/carbs were in it. I'll still get lean, though, because I'm awesome.

And then it was time. 

Time for a moment all of us have been waiting for in anxious anticipation for quite some time. We've been watching Randy Santel's videos almost against our wills and definitely against our better judgments for the past several weeks. One of them was the Lupita's Burrito Challenge. That one in particular has been watched over and over this past week in preparation for today. When we arrived on location, the gravity of the situation was finally starting to set in.


You know it's serious when you have to call a day in advance to order the thing. But that was all done. It was now time to take on the Tankurrito Challenge.

It should be noted that when Randy attempted the challenge, it had previously been undefeated. That was 4 years ago. Since then, he's still the only one to ever finish it. He did it in 10'44", which really isn't human. But in light of their demolition of Habaneros' 5-pounder last weekend, they rightly felt up to this task. 

First, the owner of Lupita's couldn't have been more excited about Quinn and Andrew taking on this challenge. From the moment we walked in, he was all over the place with excitement. It's also important to note that he's also one of the nicest guys I've ever met. He offered to sit the competitors in the middle of a big room at their own small tables. He double checked that the ingredients in the burrito were to Quinn's and Andrew's satisfaction. He pretty much went out of his way to make sure this whole thing went as smoothly as possible. You can tell he has so much pride in the restaurant that his mother founded 21 years ago. His excitement is really infectious. 

When the burritos were brought out, he set up his phone and Live Streamed the challenge on Facebook. This dude was seriously pumped!

All meals over $6 come with complimentary chips and salsa. 


But obviously since neither Quinn nor Andrew would be eating them, I smashed them all.

But to the challenge itself. These burritos were HYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOGE!!!

Let's go through a rundown of what this thing is literally made of. 

1 pound of beef
1 pound of chicken
1 pound of rice
1 pound of beans
1/4 pound of shredded cheese
1/4 pound of sour cream
1/4 pound of pico de gallo
1/4 pound of lettuce
5 12" flour tortillas custom made for this challenge (weighing 1 pound total)

This adds up to exactly 6 pounds. They made both burritos identical, but they still needed to add the queso on top. This actually pushed the grand total to over 6 pounds.




This scale had been tared to account for the weight of the plate. You can see the needle advancing to 6.5 pounds.

But enough of these formalities. It was time to eat. The 60-minute time limit would begin in 3...2...1...


They both started off strong. Quinn, in particular, had about a quarter of it gone within about 5 minutes. He kept going and soon had half of it down with probably 15 minutes elapsed. But things slowed down. The dryness of the ingredients and the utter thickness of these tortillas were quite the challenge. Seriously though, these tortillas were almost as thick as naan. And there were 5 of them. Long story short, Quinn ate 6 pounds and Andrew ate 5.75 pounds. The main takeaway from this experience, for me at least, is that my respect for Randy Santel grew exponentially upon witnessing this challenge in person. Not only did he finish it, but he did it in 10 minutes. He's unreal.

I sampled a little bit of the leftovers after the 60-minute time limit had come and gone. The food was cold and mostly consisted of tortilla, but from what I tasted, I would definitely come back. It was delicious! With food this good, I have no idea how these two couldn't finish these things!

When I got back home, having, against my best efforts, not eaten, I warmed up some burgers from a couple nights ago. I had some cheese, onions, lettuce, and ketchup to go along with them. I buttered and heavily toasted the buns. They were delicious too!



Overall, it was (for me) a good food day. I had some delicious market food, some tasty authentic Mexican leftovers, and some wonderful burgers. And I really don't think I blew my calorie limit by too much, though I know for sure that I didn't hit my brotein goal. Ah well, it was worth it!

I'm not sure, however, if Quinn or Andrew share the same opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment