Monday, February 8, 2016

Orange You Glad I Didn't Say Brotein Bar?!

Yes, today was a weird one. Let me start off by saying that I did not have a single bar of any kind today (well, except for a barbell). But no, that's right. I didn't have a brotein bar for breakfast, and no granola or cereal bars were consumed for lunch. But don't despair. I found a way yet to get my morning and mid-day carbs in, and in a tasty way.

As a kid, I had two favorite foods. One of them was good old ramen noodles. Yes, I am that basic. My other favorite was mandarin oranges. You know, the kind that come pre-peeled in the can soaked in a little sugar. I could eat those things by the can. And to this day, they remain one of my all-time favorites. And that brings me to today. In lieu of my traditional bro bars, I had some mandarin oranges. Now, these were not the canned variety, but rather the W. Murcott Afourer variety of southern California mandarins, which are quite often marketed as a children's food. So be it, but I don't care. I'll flaunt my mandarins all over campus without a hint of shame. I had one for breakfast, two for lunch/pre-workout, and another for a post workout snack/recovery/gains.


While I'm on the subject of recovery, I may as well mention the other recovery snack I thought would be a good idea. You see, since I reintroduced leg day into my weekly workout routine, I have been gradually upping the intensity. Likewise, today was the most intense yet, with some front squats, barbell lunges, and quadriceps extensions. This all but destroyed my legs, so I needed extra recovery today. And the best way to recover is to eat some carbs, which is where that fourth mandarin came in. But, like I said, today was extra intense, so I needed more than a solitary mandarin. I went to a clutch player in the world of the carb, and it goes by the name of chocolate.


Yes, that's right. I will get huge, one M&M at a time.

When it came time for dinner, I still needed more carbs, but I also recognized my need for brotein. I had 2 scoops after my workout, but that was about it for the day thus far. With that, I loaded up a few toasted buns with some Pepperoncini Beef and a couple slices of provolone.


I was actually rather full after this hearty meal, so I took five. After said five, I headed to the freezer to complete my recovery/gains cycle for the day.


One can simply not go wrong with any moose tracks variety of ice cream, especially one with a chocolate ice cream base. And legend has it that if the carbs you eat for recovery taste exceptionally delicious, your muscles will better respond because of a lack of stress and a thus a better mind-muscle connection. I can feel my muscles getting huge as we speak.

No comments:

Post a Comment