Sunday, June 26, 2016

That's a Big Biscuit

Today, I had a 2-part breakfast. First, I ate some pie. Then I ate a big biscuit. Let me elaborate.

Last night, Sidney's mom returned home with a chocolate truffle pie that she had made for her weekly Outlander watch party. And following what normally happens, she and her friends didn't finish the dessert, thus it made its return. This is both good and bad. But mostly good. Watch.

I restrained from having anything but the smallest of bites last night, because carbs and calories. Yes, this is the exact Breakfast: Part I that I alluded to last night. It's only Part I because I had plans. Big plans. Plans that have been a year in the making. But that's for later. For the time being we must focus on this pie. This pie...what can be said about this pie? Words simply don't do it justice, so here...


What you're looking at is nothing short of literally amazing. It's only got six ingredients, but glorious ingredients they are indeed. There's heavy cream, chocolate chips, powdered sugar, vanilla, double chocolate Oreos, and butter. What combination of 6 ingredients could be any better?? I don't think it exists.

I had a slight snafu when trying to transfer a slice to my plate:


Naturally, I licked the homemade whipped cream clean off my Blender Bottle. One does not waste homemade whipped cream.

But back to the pie. It came garnished with, as just mentioned, homemade whipped cream and shave chocolate.


Remember when I said that I couldn't think of a combination of 6 ingredients that were better than this? I meant that literally. After eating this slice of chocolate pie, I can honestly say that it, in this exact configuration, is my favorite dessert of all time. That's big. That is such a big deal. I don't think you understand how big of a deal that is. Heck, I don't think I fully understand how big of a deal that is. It's huge.

I will add a few disclaimers, however.

  1. I do not consider cookies of any kind to be a dessert. I consider them to be a snack. 
  2. There are a few aspects of this exact pie that push it to the top, and those are the whipped cream and the Oreo crust. If a store-bought whipped topping was used in its place, I don't think I could claim this as my favorite dessert. This also holds true for the crust, but I think to a lesser degree. There is just something about homemade whipped cream. 
  3. I also think Nestle chocolate chips are somehow superior to other brands, and I don't quite know why. But the depth of flavor in the chocolate was simply amazing. 
With all that being said, I can comfortably place this pie at the top of my favorite desserts list.

So that's it. I've got a new champion. It succeeds Sidney and I's creme brulee. But we're still working on that one, and it's possible that when we perfect it, it may reclaim its throne.

In the meantime, having just ingested about 460 calories of sugar and fat, I felt the need to get at least a little brotein in.


And soon enough it was time for Breakfast: Part II. My parents were moving some stuff out to Lawrence for Sidney and I, so I seized the opportunity to finally take them to WheatFields so that they may at last experience their biscuits and gravy. I've been raving about these biscuits and gravy for at least a year, and today was the day that I would finally bring to fruition my dream to return and order them once more. After moving the stuff in to the house, Sidney, my parents, and descended upon Lawrence. Soon, we were in the parking lot, walking hastily toward the entrance to WheatFields. As we came within 10 feet of the door, I got that feeling. This is happening. This is actually happening! I pulled the door open and we went inside, the smell of fresh bread filling the air. My excitement was building, and we went up to the counter to order. My dad was first. He was just as excited as I was. "I'll have the biscuits and gravy," he said with much anticipation. What happened next was the closest thing to heartbreak that I've felt in a long time.

"We're out of biscuits and gravy." It hit like a million-ton atom bomb. The cashier apologized, and there was nothing we could do. We all just stood there, shocked and in disbelief. I was on the verge of tears. How could something like this happen? Seriously, after a year of waiting in anticipation, I was denied at the very counter, the last imaginable obstacle in my attainment of WheatFields biscuits and gravy. I didn't know what to do. I couldn't think straight. Everyone else was trying to figure out what to do. I felt like I was watching a movie, everyone else whirling around me as I observed from the comfy seats of a theater, completely removed from the situation.

Eventually I regained some semblance of consciousness. We went through some different places to eat. We knew for sure that we wanted biscuits and gravy, but where. I remembered reading some reviews of The Big Biscuit earlier in the week, so I suggested this. Everyone seemed to agree, and as none of us had ever been there before we decided to give it a shot. A good friend of mine is the manager there, so I felt pretty sure it would be alright.

After getting there, getting seated, and having ordered, we got our food. This is a famous biscuit from The Big Biscuit.


It's tall, I'll give it that! This was actually Sidney's, though. I just wanted a picture, as mine was covered in gravy!

I ordered a biscuit with gravy, an omelet with sausage and cheddar, and some diced potatoes.


I'll be quick. The biscuit and gravy were good, especially the gravy. I'd say definitely above average. But the real winners, in my ever so humble opinion, were the omelette and potatoes. The potatoes were cooked and seasoned very well. They were salty, of course, but that's alright. They tasted really good. And the omelette was cooked to perfection. It had plenty of sausage and a lot of cheese!!


All in all, and after the WheatFields disappointment, my expectation were far exceeded with this breakfast. It was a reasonable substitute (though out of necessity), but I still want to go back to WheatFields. I would, though, happily return to The Big Biscuit for breakfast.

Sidney and I then did some shopping that lasted almost the entire day it seemed, but it was fun shopping for stuff for our soon to be place of residence. This left little time to eat. I was okay with this given the breakfasts I had eaten today. In fact, I didn't eat until pretty late at night, probably around 2100 or so. Sidney's mom had made some soup with a bunch of stuff in it, and it was really good.


So, it was a day of highs and lows. I started on a high by finding my new favorite dessert. I then experienced an incredibly low low when I learned that WheatFields had run out of biscuits and gravy. Then I experienced another high with the breakfast at The Big Biscuit. This high was sustained throughout the day, so overall it was a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment