Friday, April 8, 2016

Is There Cheating in Ball?

Alright, so apparently no one payed any attention yesterday when I showed them how to cheat when cutting. Begrudgingly, I decided that I'd show you miscreants yet another example of how to cheat so that you may finally understand the concept.

Now, pay very close attention.

This day, like so very many others, started off quite within the confines of the rules of cutting. I had a classic brotein bar for breaky-break, a couple granola bars for lunch/pre-workout, and then a Clif bar for post-workout/recovery.


I apologize for the dramatic lighting, but the sun was just in the perfect position this morning.

When I got back home, Sidney was still head-deep in baking for the first Farmers' Market of the season. That mean that the kitchen was effectively out of order. But when she finished, the kitchen was reinstated as the House of Gains. Except in this case by "gains" I really mean "food that I eat because it tastes good and that is mildly good for me even though it has no brotein or calories."


Asparagus and cauliflower. I could feel the muscle evacuating my body.

But that was to be short lived. Spoiler Alert: This is where the cheating comes in.  Up until now, this had been a perfectly fine exemplary day in the world of cutting. I had barely eaten 500 calories in the first 10 hours of the day.

But the next 4 hours of the day would rectify that deficit, and rather easily.

Sidney and I, along with her family, attended the Hearts of Gold Ball benefiting Lawrence Memorial Hospital cardiovascular services (specifically the catheterization lab). This includes live music, dancing, both a silent and live auction, and, wait for it...wait for it...FOOD!

And an abundance of food at that. Upon arriving at our table we were greeted by beautifully prepared salads.




For those of you unfamiliar with red apples, they are a vanity cultivar of the hybridization of Malus domestica × Malus sylvestris. The most common cultivar of this hybridization is known commonly as the "Granny Smith" apple, which is named after Maria Ann Smith, who first grew the cultivar. But this red cultivar is extremely rare and is only found in Lawrence, Kansas. It has a slightly sweeter taste with hints of strawberry is less sour than the more common Granny Smith.

Other obvious highlights in this salad included pineapple chunks and sunflower seeds. Spinach is always a pleasant surprise in a world drowned in lettuce. But the best part of this salad was the candied pecans on top. I saved almost all of my pecans for the end, saving the obvious best for last. Unfortunately, when I had my back turned (for no more than 5 seconds), a waiter came by and snatched up my plate, taking the pecans with it. I was heartbroken. Thankfully, not everyone finished their salads, so I was able to procure a couple more pecans before the night was through.

Then it was time for appetizers. Appetizers are always on point when at large social gatherings. Or at least it has seemed that way at every large social gathering that I've been to. Maybe I just haven't been to enough...I digress. Anyway, the appetizers were wonderful.


There was shrimp for cocktails.


There were cheese cubes, because who doesn't need cheese cubes?!

There were also some grapes, hard chip thingies, hummus, bread, and assorted veggies. I straight skipped over all the veggies except for a solitary piece of celery. This was my nod to a healthier time.


As you can see, I got a plate consisting of mostly intestinal blockage with a side of insulin. I regret nothing.

Then it was time for dinner. Sweet dinner. Magical dinner. How I've missed thee so. It had been over 24 hours since I had eaten dinner, and I was starting to get worried that it would never come again. But it did.


I went through the buffet-style dinner and loaded up on green beans with almonds, roasted squash, roasted potatoes, some incredibly delicious chicken, some fresh carved prime rib, and a light and fluffy roll with plenty of butter.

After taking a leisurely pace on dinner and conversing gleefully with other ballers, I became aware of the presence of the desserts. I headed over to check them out when I discovered a line that was probably 100 people long. Oh well, I joined the line and waited my turn.

Eventually, I made my way up to the business end and made my selections. Sidney had instructed me to get her a cupcake. Seeing no real cupcakes, I called an audible and just got two of everything.


The only difference between the two plates is the gelato. The top plate features lemon gelato, while the bottom plate bears hazelnut gelato.

Sidney ate her chocolatey cupcake thingy, ate the lemon gelato, and finished the cookie with red frosting. After this, she proclaimed her satiety. Not being one to condone the wasting of food, I reluctantly agreed to finish all the remaining desserts.


When in doubt, simply eat everything. 

No comments:

Post a Comment