Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Cubic Finals

Today was a day of reckoning. I had my physics final at 0730, my medical entomology final at 1030, and my evolution final at 1330. I needed some fuel to get me through all these finals, so I made provisions.





I ate the fiber bar and one brotein bar at around 0700 this morning, giving me a boost for my physics final. I ate the next brotein bar before my entomology final, and finally the last brotein bar before my evolution final.

On a little side note, one of the worst possible scenarios played out this morning. I awoke to flashes of lightning and claps of thunder. That's not good. This was still a little while before I had to leave, so I was hoping the storm would blow over by that time. And when I got ready to leave, I walked outside to find dry skies. I looked up the radar on my phone and saw a line of heavy rain just to the west of Lawrence. I thought maybe I could get to school and walk to class before the rains hit.

Wrong.

About 10 seconds after getting into my car, it started raining. As I started driving, and subsequently the farther west I got, the rain got harder. I was driving straight into the storm, and I couldn't do a darn thing about it. The rain only got harder and harder the farther I drove, and a sinking feeling was growing in the pit of my - let's be original - left foot.

I pulled into the parking lot, found a spot, and contemplated my plight. But contemplate long I could not, for I only had 12 minutes until my final would start.

So I opened the door, rain poured in, and I shut the door again. Luckily, I had had the foresight to bring and umbrella, so I got it out and opened it slightly. With the umbrella ready, I again opened my door and stepped out into the deluge. All seemed to be going reasonably well. I wasn't getting too wet. Then I looked down. My shoes were showing signs of dampness, and I had only taken maybe 10 steps. After another 10 steps or so, they were most definitely wet. The farther along the sidewalk I walked, the faster the water was running. About a third of the way to my class, the veritable flash flood on the sidewalk could have carried away a small village. At this point, my shoes were soaked through, and my socks were beginning to feel wet. And finally, after probably 10 more steps, my shoes were effectively full of water and my socks were at their absorptive capacities.

But I made it to my exam on time.

Afterward, I assessed the damage.




This may not be much visually, but these shoes are supposed to be light gray. They were super soaked. It wouldn't've made them any more wet if I had jumped into a pool while wearing them.

But they were the only shoes and socks I had for the day, and with 2 finals left, I couldn't afford the time to go home and change. Luckily, my physics exam only took about 30 minutes, so I had ample time to prepare for my next final. As that one approached, I became so enthralled with going over my notes that I forgot to eat my brotein bar. It wasn't until I was sitting in my seat and the professor started passing out the exams that I remembered. I hurriedly retrieved the bar from my backpack and shotgunned it as quickly as possible. It took me maybe three big bites to get it down, and then I was ready to roll.

This entomology exam took me about 45 minutes, so again I had a decent amount of time for some last minute preparations before my evolution final. I met up with Quinn in the library, and soon we were joined by Andrew. He was studying some sort of math that I don't understand, and Quinn and I were going over our evolution.

My final final took me about an hour and 10 minutes, but then I was done for the semester!

I went home, started watching The Sound of Music with Sidney. At intermission, we got to work on dinner. We made tacos.


My first two tacos consisted of ground beef taco meat, sour cream, shredded cheddar, some salsa, and some shredded lettuce (not pictured).

I eventually found myself wanting a little bit more, so I got another one.

 
This one just had some beef, sour cream, and cheese. They were all good.

I should note that my shoes and socks looked like this all day. When I got home at 1500 they looked and felt no different than they did at 0730 this morning. It's not that much fun to walk around all day with wet feet, but luckily I avoided developing trench foot. So that's another small win on a day full of wins.

No comments:

Post a Comment